Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Letter: Florence to Claude, 1906

Letter, dated Morton, Minnesota, November 13, 1906 from Florence Richardson to Claude W. Street, Park City, Utah:

Did you get a wintry blast when you opened this epistle from the land of ice and snow, or has it warmed up on its way from the Arctic zone? My but it's cold and blowing and blizzardy and everything else, - all in this one short day too.

Your nice long letter came yesterday afternoon, and made me feel good. My you have a lively lot of Junior girls, from your account of society doings. Tell me what western girls are like. Are they all pretty like in those novels or are they just common everyday mortals? Are they lively and yet not loud, or are they a little bit bold?

It makes me so blue to think of that camping crowd reunion for I'll be just one too many when you aren't there to let me bore you, and I just know I'll be terribly lonesome for you. Of course it's lovely of Minnie Bell to plan it. Do you suppose that about George and Ella Hibbert is authentic? It seems to me they will make a funny couple. I never could jibe with Ella Hibbert, for some reason, although I know she has many good points.

I had such a pleasant visit over at Redwood Falls over Sunday. I went down Saturday noon and came back Monday morning on the early train. You perhaps remember that the nearest point to Redwood falls on the M&S St. S is two miles from town, so one has to take the bus over and have it call for one to go back. The old bus called for me first, so I sat down nearest the driver's box. The thing by little maneuvering holds eight people very nicely, but Monday morning there were eleven inside, and two on the seat with the driver. When we commenced to go down the half mile hill on the way to the station, those seven men and three ladies commenced sliding, settling down against me. I haven't recovered my natural figure yet, I was so completely compressed against the driver's box. The next time anybody catches me sitting in that part of the bus again, it will be because I had no choice.

Mrs. Hitchcock (to resume) had one of the teachers and the superintendent who was a jolly young fellow in to Sunday dinner. She has invited my aunt and me over for Thanksgiving, but I think we shall go over to Marshall as we were invited there first.

Where are you going to be Thanksgiving Day? Somebody surely will take pity on homeless little boys won't there?

Well I got a comical letter from Bernard today, and I expect to hear this, you've had one from Ella. What won't those crazy young ones do next! I'm sending you Bernard's, and if you would just as soon have me I should like to see Ella’s. Then we will have to do something to get even with them. What shall it be?

Well what an idea that your pupils are afraid of your big nose! I'm not one bit, and if you were here I'd pull it for you just to show I wasn't.

Hoping you are enjoying less freezing weather than we, I am

Lovingly yours,

===

A double wedding took place on August 3, 1907, when the two Richardson sisters Ella and Florence married the two Street brothers Bernard and Claude. There is unfortunately no known photograph of the event.

Back to Table of Contents

No comments:

Post a Comment