Sunday, April 16, 2023

Personal Reminiscences, Introduction

by Florence Richardson Street, December 1943

The spirit of reminiscence has seized me as I have been lying here on our living-room couch convalescing from the 1943 type of influenza. For the first time I've had leisure to leaf through an old volume of original verse written by my father's mother, Caroline Fay Richardson. Besides the poems she had written from time to time on birthdays or wedding anniversaries short, revealing observations.

This volume was willed to me by Aunt Emma upon her death the first of October, together with a few family heirlooms and treasures which I am to pass on to the next generation. Reading her writings has given me such an insight into her charming personality and unselfish character that I've been wondering if I, too, might not make a contribution to our family lore by telling you things of interest about my father and mother and Father's only sister, aunt Emma, whom I have known as long as I have my parents.

These three strong, interesting characters have passed away within one year, leaving me the eldest of our branch of the family. My older sister Ella died in 1936. It is especially for her children and grandchildren that I am recording these personal sketches.



Florence Clementine (Richardson) Street 

Back to Table of Contents


No comments:

Post a Comment