Friday, April 14, 2023

Private Diary of Ruth Catherine Richardson, Part 2

PRIVATE DIARY OF
RUTH CATHERINE RICHARDSON
Part II

+++++ 

Mar. 21, 1908

It is nearly a year since I have written in here, and so many things have happened since then.

Ella and Florence had a double wedding last August. Ella surprised us all by getting married so soon. Oh! I was so lone­some, I cried about three times a week all fall.

Then Clara Larkin, Mabel Johnson and I have been going together so much since last year just before Christmas, that I have hardly had time to get lonesome.

David Weeks was away all summer in Fallon, Mont. He wrote to me all summer. This year he is in Tacoma, Washington. No telling where he will be next year. His father is a railroad contractor, so they rarely stay more than two years in a place.

Mamma had kind of a nervous breakdown after the wedding, and has been sick all fall and winter. We didn't get a girl until after Xmas, and so I had to help quite a bit. They used to have rare treats, like too strong coffee, burnt toast, flat pancakes, etc. We have a dandy girl now - Annie Skluzacek, a Bohemian.

These are the clothes I have at present:

Monday morning
Mar. 23, 1908

Yesterday I went to church as usual. Rev. Keesy is our pastor now. I wrote four letters in the afternoon, to Ella, Florence, Grandpa and David. I went to League and had to play the piano. I must go and look over my Caesar before school time. 8:30 a.m.

Mon. Eve.
Mar. 23

9:15 p.m. Uncle Frank Richardson is up from Cannon Falls today. I was over at Helen Watson's after school today. She had just begun to make candy. It was layer fudge. I like it ever so.

A man, the Central at Lonsdale, calls up Annie Skluzacek, our girl, real often. I told Annie he was cross, just to tease her. She told him tonight. His initials are V.V. He told Annie to have me talk to him next time he called up.

Tuesday Eve.
Mar. 24, 1908

9:30 p.m. Received letters from Ella and Bernard today. Bernard certainly is a tease.

Minnie Belle Schofield Hoover was up this afternoon. She is going to Salt Lake City, about 50 miles from Park City where Florence is, in two or three weeks. Florence is so tickled that she hardly knows what to do.

Clara and I, and Fay and Russell, went to the "Jack Knife" Lecture tonight. It was fine.

Ella is coming Sat. a.m. on the Rock Island. Won't we be glad!

Wednesday Eve
Mar. 25, 1908

Florence's letter came today. I made two pillows for the bathroom downstairs this afternoon. It is so warm today - Spring has certainly come.

I do hope that I will have sense enough to keep a diary this year. There were so many things last year that I would like to have kept track. I am not going to read a single page of this over until New Year's Eve.

I wish Clara Larkin would keep one. It would be so much more fun. She is so nice. She isn't exactly pretty, but she is ‑nice‑ looking and very bright. She is so witty, just like her father, and so ladylike - just like her mother. She has a swell form, too. If I was only taller, but then some people think I have kind of a cute figure, anyway.

Ruth (in dark dress) and a friend
in front of the Richardson home, Northfield


Thurs.
Mar. 26, 1908

I am going to try and be better than I have been since Mrs. Spooner ‑[the German teacher]‑ came. I didn't like her at first, and I wouldn't let myself like her. Mamma told me she had noticed that I was crosser to everyone, and she knew that it was because, down in my heart I kept saying to myself "I don't like Mrs. Spooner and won't do what she wants me to."

Tonight Clare Spooner, Mabel Johnson, Clara Larkin, Ethel Probart, Grace Harmer and I played "Sweet Bunch of Lilacs."  We had lots of fun.

Today the worst thing happened when I was out getting my cloak at 4 o'clock. I was in quite a jam and everyone was squashed pretty close together, as usual, when someone tried to put their arm around me. I jerked away and in kind of a side glance, saw it was Arthur Babcock. I shall hardly speak to him after this. To think a boy would do such a thing!  It is the first time anything like that every happened to me.

Mill on the Floss" has me head over heels in interest. Poor Maggie!  I am just afraid she is going to do something with her cousin's betrothed. Poor Maggie! She was always getting into trouble.

Friday,
Mar. 27, 1908

Today we got out at a quarter to three, because it is the last day of school before spring vacation. After school I went down town. About quarter past four I began making a white muslin cover to my bolster for my gold bed.

Elliot Watson telephoned over about quarter to eight for me to come over and practice. I just have been home about twenty minutes. I received an invitation to an April Fool's party. Mabel J. is giving it with Clara L.

Ella comes tomorrow on the 11 o'clock Great Western. My! I am so happy.

I mended three corset covers after supper. I will have quite a bit of sewing to do this vacation. Guess I will try and write better. I scribble so badly.

I got a compliment for Helen Crary, from Evelyn Kean, yesterday. She said that Helen had such pretty hands. I have never noticed. I notice very few peoples hands.

Sun. a.m.
Mar. 29, 1908

Ella came yesterday morning. She is just the same as ever. She always was pretty.

Received letters from Grandpa and David yesterday. I guess I won't write to him much more. His letters aren't very interesting. It is rather a bore to have to write to him. Am going to church now.

Sun. Evening,
Mar. 29, 1908

Went to church and Sunday School this morning. Mr. Nichols had all of his Sunday School class sign a pledge. He gave us each a rose.

I wrote a letter to Florence and one to Grandpa.

Aunt Maggie and Milford were over this afternoon. Celia Francis was over, too, to see Ella. Clara came to get me to go riding. We didn't ride very long as Mr. and Mrs. Larkin wanted the horse.

I have been reading "Mill on the Floss," and I just finished it tonight. It is an extremely sad, sad book, yet so true to life. The two books that I have read this winter have been so sad, "Kenilworth," and "Mill on the Floss."

Mar. 31, 1908
Tues.

I didn't write in my diary yesterday. Ella and I slept quite late in the morning. In the afternoon we went down town. She went up to Minnie Belle's and I went up to Clara's. She and Mabel had telephoned for me to come down. Then we three went down town again. They wanted to [get] some Teddy Bear napkins. We hunted all over town but couldn't find any.

Fay and Russell and I played "Quien Sabe" all evening. It takes nearly the whole evening to play it, as the limit is 500 pts., so we only played one game. Fay won. Ella was over at Streets for supper.

Apr. 3, 1908 
Friday
9:30 a.m.

I have just been washing my hair this morning and I look like "the wild man from Borneo."

Wednesday night I went to Clara and Mabel's April Fool party. Yesterday Mabel Johnson and a friend that is visiting her by the name of Mabel Johnson, Rilla and Ila Drake, Clara Larkin and I played "Sweet Bunch of Lilacs."  In the evening Papa, Ella, Fay, Russell and I played "Quien Sabe."

Apr. 8, 1908
Wed. 9 p.m.

Got a letter from Florence today.

Ella went Sunday. It made me feel so blue that she couldn't stay longer.

Our Caesar class is going so slow that I am going to go on a little ahead of the rest. Eloise figured out that if we take 35 lines a day we would barely finish the four books we are supposed to take. I finished the second book tonight.

We have had a heavy snowstorm which has lasted 2 days. I mean the snow has lasted 2 days, not the storm.

I thot I wouldn't write David anymore, but I got such a jolly letter from him that I guess I will. It is rather fun to correspond with a boy. I never did write to any boy whatever.

I have been most awfully cool to Arthur Babcock lately. I don't suppose he cares though. He is so soft that you could stick your finger right thru him.

Beth Street is Salutitorian at High School this year. I think she was only 6 or 7/29 behind the valdictorian. Her average was 95 9/29, I think. My average last year was 95 1/4, but my average this year will bring it down, I am positive. I think that Hazel Runnels or Judith Anderson will be the valdictorian in our class.

Apr. 9, 1908
Thursday

Bought some new gunmetal buttoned shoes today. Clara, Mabel and I went down town together. When I took off my shoe at the shoe store, there was a little tiny hole in the toe of my stocking. It must have come there during the day, because it wasn't there in the morning.

Fanny Rivier, Rilla Drake, Clara, Mabel and I are going out after crocusses tomorrow night after school. I hope that they tell Charlotte to come along, but Fannie and Rilla thot of it and I hardly like to ask them.

I am kind of glad that Fannie is going away, because Mamma don't want me to go with her. She isn't thot to be so very particular about the boys she goes with. If she stayed much longer, I know I would be going with her (if she would let me) because I can't help liking her. She is certainly fascinating, altho she isn't so very nice. Yet she is much nicer than Florence Revier. I never particularly like or disliked her, but I do like Fanny.

Papa was out all last night on an undertaking case. He was just coming in when I was getting up this morning. Mamma hasn't been very well today. I am afraid that Hannah bothers her. Hannah is the best cook, but she is not as sweet-tempered as Annie. I am truly lonesome for Annie Skluzacek, she is so good to me.

I keep a memory book of all the parties and things I go to. It is lots of fun.

My! I did dislike (I was going to say "hate," but I guess I hadn't better) Mrs. Spooner, and I was bound that I wouldn't like her, but I am really getting so that I like her. She really had to make us do those things and it wasn't her fault that we weren't used to it.

I was just thinking of something I heard Helen Watson say once. She said that every bit of gossip that we hear, we should give this test before repeating:  "Is it true?  Is it necessary?  Is it kind?"  I am such a gossip about some people. It is ‑true‑ I know, but it is not necessary nor kind, either, for that matter.

Apr. 11, 1908
Sat. a.m.

Yesterday turned out to be so cold that we didn't go for flowers after all. So we had our picnic up at Mabel's. Clara couldn't come, tho. In the evening, Clara and I went to an illustrated lecture. It certainly was dry. We only had 10, so we probably got our money's worth. We left before it was over.
Mrs. Larkin picked out a new black petticoat for me yesterday. She got it on approval, as Mamma couldn't go down.

Sat. p.m.

Nothing doing. Too sleepy to write, anyway.

Monday,
Apr. 13, 1908

Didn't have my German lesson today, and Mrs. Spooner told me I had to stay after school. I had to go down to the dentist's, so she said I could come early tomorrow morning.

Mamma and I went riding for a little while before supper. 

Judith Anderson was over this evening, and we studied German together. This is the German poem that I flunked on:

Ich hatt' einen Kameraden,
Einen bessern findst du nit.
Die Trommel schlug zum Streite,
Er ging an meiner Seite,
In gleichem Schritt und Tritt.

Eine Kugel kam geflogen
Gild's mir, oder gild es dir?
Ihn hat es weg-gerissen
Er liegt mir vor den Fussen
Als war's ein Stuck von mir.

Will mir die Hand noch reichen
Derweil ich eben lad'.
"Kann dir die Hand nicht geben.
Bleib du in ew'gen Leben
Mein guter Kamerad."[1]

All I could say straight was the first stanza.

April 14, 1908
Tuesday

Well, lots of nice things have happened today. First all, it has been a perfect day - rather windy, but then, I like Wind. Then, I said my German poem correctly, got an easy place in Caesar to translate - changed my flannels - had a nice walk down town - read in a dandy book, "Darrel of the Blessed Isles" - went over to Elliot's to play. And I am to wear a pretty new nightgown, low neck and short sleeves, with a blue ribbon in the neck.

Papa has bought a season baseball ticket, and I am glad because I was afraid that I couldn't go to the games.

Sent a lemon postal to Uncle Ed. I am waiting to see what he says.

April 15, 1908
Wednesday

Colder today. Took my Caesar exam. Wrote a letter to Florence, and a postal to Ella. Finished "Darrel of the Blessed Isles" by Irving Bachellor. Fine book. Am going to get a new corset, my old one has all gone up and it hurts me to wear it. A new one never hurts me. I remember the first day I ever wore a girdle. I thot I was going to die, sure.

Apr. 16, 1908
Thursday

Oh! I am so lonesome!  If I can only keep from crying!  Awhile ago Florence wanted me to come out with Minnie Bell, and I could have gone (that's what made it hurt) just as well as not if - well, if is always in the way. It would have cost too much for one thing, I suppose, and then Mamma didn't want me to leave her alone. I suppose she is just as anxious to see Florence as I am, but it seems as if I must see Florence. The tears are coming so I must stop - quick!  It makes me cry to write this.

Apr. 20, 1908
Monday

My marks in the six weekly exams are:
Caesar                  97
German               97
Geometry           91
Composition      95

Most likely my report will be much lower, because I am not such a very good student. I have had to stay after school twice for German since Mrs. Spooner has come.

Annie Skluzacek came back today. Her father was here for dinner. Annie and Hannah are both here now.

Clara Larkin and her mother, and Helen and I went to early service Easter morning. Mabel Johnson had Fanny Revier, Belle Nordguard, and Clara up for dinner, Easter. I didn't feel hurt, though, because she had Fanny and Belle because they are both going away soon, and Clara, because she couldn't come.

Mamma picked out a pretty hat for Florence. She can't get anything she wants without paying an exorbitant price. Papa didn't like it. I don't [know] what's the matter with the hats this year, or - him, he doesn't like my hat, either. Mamma only had to pay $4 and something.

May Mowry was over this evening and stayed quite a while. She seldom takes off her hat. I guess she intends to stay only a few minutes, but she usually stays about an hour or two. She is very good company when she isn't sleepy. Last summer she used to come over and sit and yawn and not say a word.

I have about two thin dresses that I can wear this summer. I am making me a white eyelet linen hat. I have white shoes and stockings, and a white jacket that are still as good as new, and then I am going to have a new linen skirt. That will make me have one cute outfit, anyway.

My new corset hurts me. It is too long at the bottom.

Dr. Riddell said that I kept good care of my teeth, they were so white and shiny. I always brush them once a day at least, but not much oftener.

Wednesday,
Apr. 22, 1908

Got a letter from David. This makes three letters I have had from him since I wrote him one. It has been a dandy day today. I got my report card:
Caesar            98
German         91
Classics           96
Geometry     92
Comp.             94

I am truly proud over my Caesar mark. I don't suppose I ought to be, but I am. Other people beat me in everything else, but that. That means that my daily average is 98 1/2 or maybe just 98. Prof. George usually drops fractions.

Lucile has been very very low since Wednesday. Yesterday she had three hemoraghes within twelve hours. [Note from MRW: Lucile was ten years old, the daughter of Earl and Jennie Richardson, younger sister of Jessie.]

Arthur Babcock wrote me a note Friday asking me to go riding with him Tuesday or Thursday evening. Of course, I shan't go. I am only fifteen, and Mamma doesn't think I ought to.

Hazel Ramage had a party - 14 girls - up at her house Friday evening. I dressed like "Molly the Sunbonnet Baby."  We all had dress in fancy costume. I had an awfully good time.

Ray Larkin went after flowers yesterday afternoon. He gave the Dutchman's Breeches to Clara and me. He said he was going out again this afternoon and if he found any, maybe I would get some. Mr. Nichols gave us such a cute card today that shows the meaning of every flower. I would hate to have anyone send me an ice plant, for that means, "You freeze me!"

The boys' calf is outdoors rendering a vocal solo which I am enjoying (?) exceedingly.

My Memory Book is nearly full, and I must soon be making another one. It is the most fun to make one. Last night Annie and I made some cocoa fudge. It was not so very good. Clara Larkin can make good candy, I think. I think she is kind of mean to him some­times. She is always saying "Stop bothering me, Ray."  I rather like him, and I know he is an awful tease, but then he is a boy. He don't ever get really mad at me, but he teases me. He threw water at me, once, the other day.

My little plumb tree will soon be in bloom. It has such lovely big plumbs on. I can see it right out of my bedroom window.

My room is so pretty, I think. It is a west room with one west and one south window. In summer it is the coolest and in winter the warmest room in the house. It has a small closet off the south side, and the door into the hall on the east side. I have a brass bed, with a white ruffled, thin spread over pink, and bolster the same. There is a small white maple dresser, with a white cover over pink, a little writing desk with a white maple chair, and a rocker the same; a little table, and a couch with three sofa pillows: 2 pink and one yellow, my high school pillow. I made it, and Fay and Russell bot it for me to work.

The yell is:
rac a ta zinc, to zinc, ta zinc,
Rac a ta zinc ta zi,
Hurrah! hurrah!  Northfield High!

I wouldn't have anyone read my diary for anything. It would be just like laying my heart bare. If I ever let anyone read this, it will be because I love, love, love them more than I love myself. Just now I don't love anybody just that way.

My little primrose that Mr. Nichols gave me for Valentine's Day has bloomed steadily ever since.

Had a new hat for Easter. It was brown sailor trimmed with brown silk ribbon. Mamma put some red roses on it that Papa brot from Chicago. They are very pretty and very nice roses, but I don't like [it] so very well.

Tuesday,
Apr. 28, 1908

Lucile is getting along better. She is still very weak, tho.

I wasn't well yesterday so I didn't go to school. I will have some nice (?) making up to do. Eloise was out, too. She telephoned over this afternoon for me to come and translate Caesar with her. I stayed until 6 o'clock.

It is rather cold in my room so I guess that I will go to bed and study so that I can keep warm.
Papa has 3 undertaking cases on his hands just at present.

I heard that Mrs. Spooner is not to teach German next year. Joy!  Joy!  Joy!  But if she should take Cicero!  Well, I ought to remember: -

[Page has been torn out]

I was... as the first time I led. This is only my second time, though.

Clara and Ray and I were going out riding tonight. It was so nice out. Mamma didn't want me to go unless I put [on] my winter coat. I just suggested that perhaps I had better take a hot water bag too, if it was so chilly. She made me stay home altogether, after all. I was so mad. I suppose I ought to have minded, but it wasn't a bit cold, and I don't like my winter coat very well, anyway.

Clara is so afraid that they will move to Texas. Her father has been down and bought some land, and he is just crazy about it. Mrs. Larkin and Ray want to go, too, but Clara doesn't want to at all.

I didn't write a single letter today, for a wonder. I am truly getting tired of writing letters, and I wish I could have a vacation from it for a while. But then I wouldn't get any, and then ‑that‑ wouldn't be any fun, either. I guess it is best the way it is now.

Jennie Phillips started to follow us again tonight but I am glad to say that we shook her.

Tonight when I was leading, I used the word "swamped" and Helen and Clara both got to giggling. I don't suppose that it is a very elegant expression, but "swamped" expressed my meaning exactly. I am going to speak and do things like that every chance I get, so if I should ever get invited to society at Carleton, I wouldn't be such a terrible greeny. I don't hardly expect to ever be invited tho, because the girls that they usually invite are pretty, smart, witty, and cut. They have to be bright and ready speakers, too.


Northfield News, May 2, 1908


May 4, 1908 
Mon.
9:40 p.m.

We didn't have school today either. I am so glad that the school burned. [Note from MRW: Her younger brother Russell recalled that classes were held temporarily at various places, including rooms above downtown stores. His graduation picture (framed by Richard­son & Richardson, according to the sticker on the back) shows the class and faculty in front of a new brick building with double entrance doors making the corner.] I guess that we will begin Wed., and then we will have to go Saturdays to make up. That will be pretty hard, I tell you. We can't have any picnics on Saturdays, or anything.

This afternoon Clara and Hazel Ramage and I went for a walk. Mabel and Rilla have started a hope box, which I think is certainly the limit.

I called on Mrs. Weeks this afternoon (not David's mother).

Mabel and Clara were down this evening and brot their sewing. My hat is still on the go. Mabel brot Clara and me down some Dutchman's-breeches. We found some butter cups this afternoon, which we brot home for Mabel's "hope box."  I guess we hadn't better josh them too much, or they will get mad.
Mamma trimmed my last year's sailor so that it looks better than my new summer hat. I wore my new plaid gingham dress today.

It is like this:



I think that it is real pretty. I have several other new dresses and I will draw pictures of them when they are done. I wish that Mamma would have some new dresses, too.

I wanted to ask Elliot over tonight but I didn't, because Papa said that it was Elliot's Lodge night.
Mamma has been sick today. Heart trouble.

May 9, 1908

Most done house cleaning now. Have been down town three times today. Papa gave me the St. Olaf "Viking" today. Mamma hasn't been feeling well this last week.

'Twas a nice day today.
I wish something nice and real exciting would happen soon, like - an invitation to visit some nice unexpected person, etc. My red memory book has just one page left in it. I will be soon starting in the new grey one.

May 13, 1908

Annie is going away to be married.

Rilla, Clara and Mrs. Larkin and I have been up to Johnson's this evening. We made Divinity. Ugh!  I feel so full, I could bust. It was awfully good, tho.

I am so sleepy that I will tumble directly into my little trundle bed.

May 18, 1908

Only nine more days of school!  Oh! I ‑am‑ so glad!  I am going to have a lot of fun this summer. I do wish David were going to be here. I haven't been a bit lonesome, but it would be lots more fun, just the same, if he were here.

Annie has gone, and Mamma and I do the work. It won't be any trouble when school is out. Mind you, Papa wants me to take vocal lessons of Mrs. Wilson, and Mamma wants to have me take a few painting lessons of Mrs. Mowry. Papa and Mamma certainly are good to me. I do wish I could learn to sing decently, at least.

Oh!  Hurrah!  Just nine days more of Madame Spooner!  Hip! hip! hurrah! 

I don't care enough about Mrs. Spooner now to even hate her. I just dislike her. Probably she will be just as glad to get rid of me as I am of her. If she feels as happy as I do over it, she must feel pretty good. But she wouldn't ever get excited over anything!  Oh! no! she must forever

I tore out the next page because it was so blame foolish.

I had to buy my Caesar because I had marked it up so. I wasn't much surprised, though.
I do wish that I knew what I got in my exams. Today, in Geometry, I was "stuck" completely. I couldn't get a certain question. I asked God to help me and he did. I don't know whether I could have got it alone, or not, but I like to think it was He. It isn't the first time that He has helped me, either.

June 9, 1908
[Tuesday]

I had such a lovely birthday, June sixth; it was a nice day, and everybody was lovely to me: my sixteenth birthday. Fay and Russell gave me a fine six-ball croquet set; Mamma gave me a bracelet; Florence sent me a hand embroidered corset cover; Mabel and Clara gave me a dear little gold pin; yesterday a fancy back comb came from Aunty, and just today a pretty hat pin came from Norma Cone. Oh! yes!  Mamma gave me a pair of embroidered stockings a little ahead of time, and Mrs. Ferguson (our birthdays came on the same day) brot over a "night blooming Cyrus" for me to look at. It was beautiful.

Ella and Bernard are stranded on account of railway washouts, at Butte, Mont. No telling when they will get out.

Went to senior play with Jessie Richardson.

I got my report. Thru in everything, average 93 3/5.

June 1908
Friday

Today was a lucky day for me. I got two letters and 5 postals - the postals all from David. They were pictures of the U.S.A. Battleships that he took himself. I thot that it was awfully nice of him to send so many.

Ella sent me a white collar and cuffs to work and wear with my brown suit. They are still at Butte and will be until goodness knows when.

This morning I made muffins and put soda in instead of baking powder. They weren't very good for some strange reason, but Fay ate 4, just the same. I made a good sour cream cake today, tho.

July 31, 1908

I have been having such a nice restfull vacation. We have such a good hired girl. Hope to goodness she don't get married right away.

There was a little boy, Paul Richardson Street, that came to live down in Park City, Utah, July 3, 1908.

Russell and I visited down at Aunt Amy and Uncle Charley Featherstone's the week following the Fourth.

The week after I was at Featherstone, I spent a few days at Cannon Falls. [Note from MRW: with Uncle Frank and Aunt Alice Richardson and their children.] I always have a good time there. Mabel and Clara are visiting at Zumbrota. It is pretty lonesome here.

Mamma is feeling pretty bad tonight. She has had such a hard year of it.

I weigh 117 lbs now. Just think of that!  I am only five feet tall, too.

Perhaps Rilla and Mabel and Clara and I are going camping this summer.

I am going [to] try every day so that perhaps I can be a really good woman. It ought to be possible, withGod's help.

Aug. 5, 1908

This morning was so nice that Mamma started out for a Wednesday drive about 9 o'clock. This p.m. I went over to see Hazel Runnels, but I met Etta Skillman coming away, and she said that Hazel wasn't home, so we went together and called on Frances Newell. Then she called on Jane Williams and we both called on Cora Hanson.

I went over to play tennis with Etta, but she was going to prayer meeting. I didn't care to go so I stayed at home. Mamma played Flinch with me in the evening.

Ella wrote me a letter that I got today. She says she is having a good time.

I won't mind when school begins, because I really have a pretty good time at school.

Aug. 6, 1908
Thursday
10:30 p.m.

This morning, it was so nice out, that I got up at ten minutes to seven, and took a walk. I walked by Runnell's, and Hazel came out and joined me, and we walked until 20 minutes past. Mamma and I rode out past the cemetery from 9 until 10:30. It was lovely.

Hazel Runnels asked Beth, Charlotte and me over to spend the afternoon and for supper. We had so much fun.

In the evening Hazel and Grace Page and I went down to church to practice the Epworth League songs. We stopped by the way to see a performance by some trained dogs. It was pretty good.
Tomorrow morning, if it is nice, Hazel and I are going to take our breakfast and eat it out near Hertzbergs, about a mile from town.

Mabel and Clara got back from Zumbrota about seven o'clock tonight. The first I saw of them was down on the street while we were watching the dogs perform.

Clara wrote me a letter and four postals while she was gone. She writes such cute letters, just like herself.

Got a postal from Marian Siegar down in Cannon Falls. She is coming up soon to see Irene Tosney. 

Marian Siegar, or "Babe" as they all call her, is real fat, but she is rather pretty, and ever so nice. She has beautiful hair and complexion.

Aug. 7, 1908
Friday

This morning Hazel and I started out at 6:30 a.m. We walked for about a mile, and then sat down on a little bridge past (south of) Charlotte's, and ate our breakfast while we dangled our feet off the edge and threw the crumbs and egg shells into the water. It was the most fun, and we were so hungry that we ate everything up (except the lunch baskets). We stopped at Charlotte's and washed our hands and got a drink, and swung a little while, then started for home. We got home just at half past eight.
This afternoon the Bierman kids were over and played with my doll Helen. They think that she and her clothes are nearly perfect.

Went to church supper. I stopped at Clara's on the way back, and she drove me home. They have the swellest, new single buggy. Mr. Larkin is quite well-to-do, I guess.

I had a date with Elizabeth and Charlotte to try their roller skates after dark. Oh! we laughed so!  They certainly are roller skates, for I rolled around just like a rubber ball, head on top sometimes, and then feet on top. Every time I heard anyone coming I sidetracked myself into the grass.

Marion, Helen, Blanche Haslip and I have to sing a duet next Sunday at Epworth League. I don't see why they asked me, I am sure.

I don't write half as nice as I used to. I am going to see if I can't do better. I wonder why I have grown so careless. I will try and make my letters "works of art."

Guten Abend!  Guten Nacht!

Aug. 8, 1908
Saturday

I didn't get up so early this morning - it was about eight o'clock when I had breakfast.

Mabel and I went down town this afternoon, and then sewed until supper time. After supper we played five games of croquet. I beat four and Mabel, one. When it was too dark to play, we went in the house, and Russell and Mabel and I played "Sherlock Holmes."

Clara is not feeling well today. I hope that she won't get sick again. She is not very strong.

Saturday,
Jan. 2, 1909

Things have certainly changed since Jan. 1908. Another little nephew has arrived by the name of Harold Street, that Bernard and Ella are pretty proud of. His birthday was November 18, 1908. Ella and Bernard, and Claude and Florence are all living at Deer Lodge at the same house. They have such good times together.

Mamma is much better than she was a year ago. It has helped a great deal to have good hired girls.
New Year's Eve, Mabel Johnson had Hazel Ramage, Grace Harmer, Clara and me up to spend the evening. Then I slept down at Larkin's with Clara. We watched the old year out and the new year in - the first time I have ever done it.

In the morning I went around with Mr. Nichols to take flowers to people. I am a "minute man."  He asked at Sunday School for volunteers. We weren't to tell each other either, and I haven't even told Clara. On the morning when he brot me home, he gave me a box of flowers, and a box of chocolates for Clara and me together, for a New Year's gift. We gave him a box of homemade candy for Christmas, because he is so fond of candy.

We were all over at Aunt Maggie's for dinner yesterday. We had a fine dinner. She and Aunt Jennie are certainly good cooks.

I was down at Clara's from about six until half past seven.

I have to lead League tomorrow evening. Oh! joy!

Helen Watson has thrown up her school at Elk River. Everyone says that she has ruined all her chances of ever getting another position. Oh! dear! I hope not.

I will draw pictures of the clothes I have now.



Apr. 25, 1909
[Sunday]

Florence and Paul are coming a week from Thursday. I am so tickled that I don't know what to do.

The Seniors entertained us Juniors Friday night. I had such a nice time. Rilla Drake stayed all night with me. Stillman Hathaway asked if he could see me home, but Alic Miller asked if she could go home with me, so I guess we three girls scared him out. I don't blame him much though. Poor kid! he has hard luck! Last time I was anyplace where he was, was when the Epworth League enter­tained all the Young People's Societies. Park Carpenter was there, and we were kind of fooling together all evening, but I never dreamed of such a thing as going home with him, for I am always scared stiff of him, altho he is just a dandy fellow. But when I started out the door Stillman was on one side and Park was on the other, as I suppose, waiting for me. Park got in ahead, and off we went leaving Stillman there. I was nearly dying, I wanted to laugh so, but I didn't dare, for I was, as I said, afraid of Park. 

I felt kind of mean, but still I was glad, for I believe I really like Park better than Stillman. I wished he liked me better, but I know he doesn't care a snap of his fingers for me, but just asked me because we had had kind of a jolly time together. Stillman is all right, tho, or I wouldn't go with him. That sounds kind of egotistical, doesn't it?

I haven't a bottle of ink of my own, and the first thing I will do will be to buy a bottle of my own, and write every night. Not that I think this will ever be of interest to anyone, for I would have a perfect fit if anyone should read it, but I want it for my own per­sonal use.

I never hear from David Weeks anymore. It was my turn to write, but I just thot that I would see if he would write again, to my once, but he didn't. I should like to see him again sometime. I wonder if I ever shall. He was a nice boy. Wouldn't he feel complimented if he knew that!!

Well, this is quite a boy number. I guess I had better stop this nonsense.

I have just read the most blessed book, "The Woodcarver of 'Lympus."  If I ever read another book better than that, truer to the joys and sorrows of human life, I will consider myself fortunate.

I never have had any real sorrows. My greatest ones were when Jake Ware wasn't nice to me at Hazel Barnard's party, and when the girls were married and went away from home. 

Just think!  I have never seen Florence since, and Ella but one short week.

Apr. 26, 1909

My pen has dissapeared, and I have tried every imaginable way to fix up a pen out of a pencil and a pen [point], but all to no purpose.

Miss Green was here today and sewed on a blue school dress for me. Clara Larkin came up after school and sewed a while. All the time she was here I had to sit around in Mamma's kamona, because Miss Green thot every minute she would have to try on my dress.

I bought my ink today, as I planned, and by tomorrow night I will try and have my pen here too.
I bought a little motto that I am going to send Aunt Emma after I have tinted it. I hope it will be pretty.

Went to Glee Club tonight. Had such a cold I couldn't sing, but I went for the fun of it, anyway.
May Mowry brot us over a sack of popcorn this evening.

Mamma has a hard headache tonight, and I will, too, if I don't hurry up to bed, for it is ten o'clock easy.

These are pictures of my new spring clothes: 



Apr. 27, 1909
Thursday

I went to gymnasium today. We have a gym in our church. I wear Ella's old gym suit. It doesn't just fit, but it does very well for me.

Afterwards Clara and I went thru town. I saw some coconuts so I got one. We went up to Larkin's and cracked it, but all the juice ran out.

This evening I painted the motto for Aunt Emma. Today is her birthday, and it has to go way to Denver yet. I am afraid it will be rather late for her birthday.

Just after supper I walked down to Cousin Ida Watson's with May Mowry while she took some china down to be fired. Then about quarter past eight, Papa and I walked down to the auction that is being held at Johnson's Drygoods Store, but it had closed.

I have some more Cicero to translate, so I will begin it now. I am all undressed, but I like to get into bed and study. It is not ten yet - my bedtime.

Apr. 28, 1909
Wednesday
I have a blue linen dress that I forgot to draw a picture of, the other night. 

I have embroidered a simple design in blue, in Wallachian and eyelets.

About all I have done today is to make a collar and enjoy my cold. A person looks worse than they feel when they have a cold.

I wrote my essay on "Prue and I" today. It is quite important, for it counts one tenth of the year's average in English.

After I had translated "my portion" in Cicero today, Prof. White said, "Miss Ruth, have you read this over before coming to class?"  I said, "Yes."  Then I got to thinking. I don't know whether I did or not, but I know I read just before it, and just after it, but, I believe by some mishap I must have skipped that particular place.

I am always short of money. But, I have a legacy of twenty dollars from Grandma Richardson that will accumulate in the bank till I need it. Isn't that a fortune?

May 1st, 1909
Sat.

Mayday and the ground covered with snow. And not a single basket did I get or give. Oh! well!  Yesterday I took a few carnations over to Lucile for her May basket from me. Poor little thing!  Yet she is so happy all the time. She seems like a little angel just lent to us for a little while.

Clara Larkin came up this afternoon to sew, but we didn't sew much; we made candy instead.
Hazel Runnels was over this evening. She is real nice to me, but I can't make out whether she really likes me or not. Boys never puzzle their heads over such foolish questions, do they?

I have a strange wish and hope. Someday, some­where, I want to be beautiful. Really beautiful; and a person is never ‑really‑ beautiful unless they are happy and beautiful inside, ‑too‑. So you see it is something to strive for. I wonder if it is possible. It may not be until I am an old, old lady with snowy hair. I hope I will be a nice old lady like Grandma Keesy. She is just the dearest little old lady there ever was, and I am just crazy to become - not acquainted with, but loved by, her. If I could be like that - well, that would be beautiful.

Northfield News, August 14, 1909

Northfield News, August 21, 1909
May 2, 1909
Sunday

I have a sore eye tonight and I really oughtn't to write, but this has been such a funny and yet such a nice day that I really wanted to write about it.

This morning was communion Sunday. While we were at the altar just after we had taken the bread, the little boy next me sneezed and sent his piece flying straight in front of him. I thot I would die!  I didn't dare laugh, but I do believe that was the hardest thing I ever did - not to laugh - I would say to myself, "Why Ruth Richardson! that isn't funny! what's the matter with you!"  I would think I had entire control of my feelings, and then I would see that little piece of bread lying on the platform, and it would all begin again.

Roy Turner and Fay and Russell and I were walking home from Sunday School together this morning and Roy told a joke that struck me funny: -

A man had a stand at a street carnival where he sold "red-hot" sandwiches. When the customers were going to eat them right away, he didn't do them up, but when they were going to take them away, he put them in a sack.

A man came up and bot one, and as the "red-hot" man handed it to him, he said, "Are you going to eat it, or take it with you?"

This afternoon I came upstairs and fussed with my hair for about half an hour, and then ended by putting it up the same old way. Then I read David Copperfields proposal to Agnes, and was just reading about Dora, when Charlotte and Hazel came to get me to go walking. I just love that book. Oh! Agnes is just great, and so is David!  I love them both. And oh! how I cried when little Dora died.

We three went up and called on Mrs. Spooner. She seemed real glad to see us. We had to wait a long time to see her, but we had a real nice time while we were waiting.

I guess I will have to finish the chronicles of this day in the next issue. 

End of Diary

+++++

Northfield News, August 1, 1913

Northfield News, August 22, 1913
 


[1] Translation by Alfred Hellstern:
Once I had a comrade,
better you will not find.
The drum called us to battle
He went at my side
Same in pace and stride.

A bullet came a-flying –
Meant for me, or meant for thee?
Him it has struck down
At my feet lies he
As if a part of me.

He wants to take my hand
Even while I load my gun.
"My hand I cannot give thee.
In life eternal do thou remain
O good comrade of mine."


+++++

No comments:

Post a Comment